Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Golf

Back around March I changed positions with my current employer and have been part of a new team. Majority of my fellow coworkers on my team regularly play golf every Friday mornings. A lot of coworkers in the company actually participate in this ritual, but 80% of the coworkers on my team participate. This soon got me thinking that maybe I should consider playing a round of golf with my coworkers since it would in a way be a physical activity, which allows one to stay healthy, and also allows social interaction with my coworkers when not at the office.

I decided to go ahead and look into get a golf set and practice a bit before playing a game with my coworkers. A contractor on my team actually makes custom golf sets. He approached me about this and mentioned he won't charge me anything except for the material. This was wonderful since I a tad below average height and people have been saying I may need a custom golf set. After comparing prices of a decent golf set, which typically with a bag and irons was around $130, I decided that it was well worth the $200 to get a set that is custom and made from material that will last. This whole process took at most 2 weeks from ordering the set till when my coworker gave me my whole set, which was custom made. The website we ordered the material from actually badly messed up my order, but I ended up getting better iron heads and was billed only $30....not bad at all!

To get used to a swing, I went to a local golf course that also has a driving range. A medium size bucket of golf balls cost $7.50. As far as quantity there is enough balls to surely keep me busy until I get tired. After 4 visits to the driving range I played my first 18 hole round of golf with my coworkers. Granted playing the actual game is totally different than hitting balls at the range, but it was surely a great experience. My coworkers were helping me and encouraging me as well. I didn't have a putter yet, but one of my coworkers even lent me his until i got my own putter. The 18 hole round cost me about $30, but in the end I think it was well worth it especially since I now have a better bond with my coworkers, I can now participate and understand conversation in regard to golf, and you see a different side of your coworkers when not in the office building.

Sure the $30 may seem like a lot at first, but majority of my coworkers do not eat out for lunch everyday, so I think of the moving being saved there goes toward the round of golf with the coworkers.

Eventually I paid regular price of the the expected $170 and even got my father a golf set. We know both go to the golf range together, which has also allowed me to have more father-son time with my dad. I haven't taken my dad out to play on the course yet, but I guess after taking him to the range 2 more time, he will be good to go.

No comments: