Thursday, March 8, 2007

AAA, Mail in Rebate, New Job, Taxes, Stocks

Today I received my reimbursement check from AAA which was for the car battery and fuse issues, which I posted about earlier.

Also in the mail I got a postcard from Kensington in regard to a mail in rebate. They stated that the product I purchased was not within the purchased time frame, when in fact it was. I always keep photocopies of my rebates, so I referred to that and contacted the toll free line. The rep who I spoke with said she will re-evaluate my rebate and I check it's status online within 72 hours.

I officially start my new work position on Monday, but was told I could use today and Friday as transitioning days. Thus, today I went to report to my new job and I loved it. I am working more in the networking/server field now. The first few days will be spent getting acclimated to the job.


I forgot to post this, but on Tuesday I went to see my CPA in regard to my taxes for 2006. I must say she is a great accountant who is friendly, affordable, knowledgeable, and knows where to save money. I was referred to her from my Dad's coworker. For everything related she charged me $90, which was well worth it. I mostly chose to go to a CPA for my taxes this time, just since I now am a homeowner, which changes some things now. Overall I am to get a few thousand dollars back from the federal and my state government.

Today I also got back into investing in stocks through an online broker. I am currently using Zecco.com, which provides up to 40 free trades/month. For now I do not think I will be a hardcore trader, so 40 trades should be fine for me. I used to follow the market heavily when I turned 18 and opened my first brokerage account, but soon after once I was working and making more money, I opened a Roth IRA account, then a 401k account through my employer. I was closing one of my Bank of America account and had $60 in it, so I transferred that balance to my Zecco account. Again I am not looking to invest a lot at the current time, just test ot Zecco and get my feet in the water again. I purchased a share of EBay and 2 shares of AMD. At the end of the day I made $0.09 (it's something), which is not too bad. This may turn into be a small hobby, which hopefully I will do well in. Again I do not think I will invest too much in stocks, since my other investments are doing very well, but I figured I should diversify my portfolio a bit.

No comments: