Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Another Rebate, Spending, New Car or Used Car

I got a $20 rebate in the mail today from Netgear, which I submitted the forms for back in mid December. This rebate also had some problems as well from the rebate issuer. They claimed I didn't send all of the required items, when I in fact did. Anyways I got the rebate.

Overall I have decreased my spending. This is partially due to the fast that I have already bought most of what I wanted for my house. I do not have everything in the world yet, but I have enough to have a simple and somewhat furnished house. Luckily I do not have any debts or outstanding credit card balances, just a mortgage. The next big thing I am trying to save up for is a wedding ring for my girlfriend and as well as a wedding.

Today I noticed that my neighbor just got a new Honda CRV. He traded in his Jeep Liberty, which was constantly giving him problems. He got the EX version, which is surely nice, but it got me wondering, why spend so much for a depreciating asset? When I graduated from undergrad I wanted to buy a new car too, but I ended up getting a used late model Toyota coupe. I partially wanted a coupe just since everyone has told me enjoy a coupe before you have kids and I also wanted something sporty. Anyways I got a good deal and it only had 35k miles. I love the car and have not had any problems. Best of all it looks flawless. My dad has taught me to not consider a new car unless I do not mind it's value depreciating. I figured if my neighbor looked around he could have gotten a good deal on a used CRV, but most likely it wouldn't have been the latest generation design. I know it is a personal preference. Overall I think everyone should look at or consider a used car before buying a new car.

No comments: