Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Gas and Electric Bill

Today I logged into my utility provider's online access site to check what my monthly utility bill is and wow did my jaw drop. My bill this month is for $190, of the $70 was from electric use and the rest is from gas use. My electric use was average compared to my past bills, but my heating bill was very high. I think this is due to the fact that in February the average temperature was pretty low compared to earlier winter months. I figured I would look at how my usage is. Mainly most of my electric usage is from a desktop pc I have running 24x7, then after work or school when I come home I will watch some TV, get on the laptop, or both, then the rest of my usage is mainly from using the microwave for breakfast, the stove for food, then the lights when I am home, and that is pretty much it. As far as gas usage that is mainly from the water heater and the heating system. I keep my showers no more than 10 minutes if that, then I have a pilot light running for the fireplace, and that is all. I am trying to think of ways to cut my costs. I know I should start with that server desktop I have on 24x7. I mainly use that to remote into when I am at work, school, or at someone's house. I am considering to switch that to a laptop based system. Actually I am working on this right now. I already have CLF bulbs all through the house. Besides that I do not see where else I can save money. I already use a programmable thermostat, which is always set at 63 degree f. Maybe during the day I should have lowered the setting even further? That is pretty much all of my ideas.

No comments: